Posts Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts      All Comments Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts     Cymraeg

Tuesday, 19 May 2015

80th Anniversary of the Death of Lawrence of Arabia





Gorffwysfa, Tremadog, Gwynedd.
Today marks the 80th anniversary of the death of Lawrence of Arabia. Thomas Edward Lawrence died on 19th May 1935 six days after he had been seriously injured while swerving to avoid colliding with two schoolboys cycling in a dip in the road near his home in Dorset. He lost control of his Brough Superior SS100 motorcycle and was thrown over the handlebars. He was an author, a renowned archaeologist, and a highly regarded British Army officer who mobilised the Arab Revolt during WWI. Otherwise known as Lawrence of Arabia, he was born in Tremadog on the 16th of August 1888. A small plaque mounted above one of the bay windows on the ground-floor of Gorffwysfa (NPRN 17044) notes the birthplace of one of the greatest military leaders this country has ever known.

By Medwyn Parry

Subscribe to the Heritage of Wales News and sign up for the full feed RSS, just click this Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts RSS button and subscribe!

Also find us on:
Facebook Twitter Google-plus YouTube Facebook Flickr

Twitter Hashtag: #RCAHMWales

Share this post:

Monday, 18 May 2015

Welsh Slate: Archaeology and History of an Industry






A book which tells the story of an industry that changed the landscape and communities of Wales will be launched this week in a castle which was at the centre of one of the longest industrial disputes ever seen in British history.

Welsh Slate: Archaeology and History of an Industry is published by the Royal Commission on Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales and is the result of a collaboration with Dr David Gwyn, an industrial archaeologist who lives in Pen y Groes in the Nantlle Valley. The book brings together Dr Gwyn’s life-long fascination with the industry and the Royal Commission’s recording expertise and extensive visual archive.

Dr David Gwyn is in no doubt about the importance of the industry.

“The slate industry left its mark on not only the country’s landscape but also had a profound social and cultural impact on the region, on Wales and on the wider world.”

Professor R. Merfyn Jones, who has written the book’s Foreword, agrees:

“The Industrial Revolution may have been founded on textiles and powered by steam; but it was roofed with slates skilfully wrenched from the Snowdonia hills.”

The Ffestiniog quarries and slate-quarrymen’s city of Blaenau Ffestiniog (AP_2011_3093, NPRN 305760)

World Heritage Status

Slates from quarries the length and breadth of Gwynedd once roofed large parts of the world, and its global significance has been recognised with the inclusion of the Slate Industry of North Wales on the UK’s tentative list of World Heritage Sites to be submitted to UNESCO.

This book makes an important contribution towards developing the Gwynedd Council led nomination.

Councillor Mandy Williams- Davies, Chair of the bid’s Steering Group, believes that the book is undoubtedly a key step in gaining UNESCO World Heritage Status for the slate industry but also believes that it will have an impact locally:

“The book will help the people of Gwynedd take pride in yet another part of the county’s rich heritage, ensuring that the industry continues to bring benefits of all kinds to people still living in the slate communities and beyond.”

Reconciliation

Welsh Slate is encyclopaedic in its range, immensely detailed in its research but is also accessibly written and illustrated by outstanding drawings and photography.

The book will be officially launched in the Great Hall of Penrhyn Castle near Bangor. The neo–Norman castle was built in the nineteenth century and is now owned by the National Trust.

In 1900, conflict between Lord Penrhyn and the Bethesda quarrymen led to a bitter three year strike and the launch of this book is seen as an important step in reconciling the heritage of the castle and the surrounding communities.


NOTES TO EDITORS:
The book is available in both English and Welsh versions:

Welsh Slate: Archaeology and History of an Industry (ISBN: 978-1871184-51-8)

Llechi Cymru: Archaeoleg a Hanes (ISBN: 978-1871184-52-5).

These are large format books of 291 pages with 243 high-quality illustrations and cost £45.

The launch will take place in the Great Hall of Penrhyn Castle, Llandygai, Bangor 17:30 – 19:30 Thursday 21 May 2015.

For further details, please contact the Royal Commission on 01970 621200, nmr.wales@rcahmw.gov.uk

For further information and images, please contact:

Nicola Roberts, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales nicola.roberts@rcahmw.gov.uk Tel:- 01970 621248

The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales is the investigation body and national archive for the historic environment of Wales. It has the lead role in ensuring that Wales’s archaeological, built and maritime heritage is authoritatively recorded, and seeks to promote the understanding and appreciation of this heritage nationally and internationally.

Website: www.rcahmw.gov.uk


Subscribe to the Heritage of Wales News and sign up for the full feed RSS, just click this Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts RSS button and subscribe!

Also find us on:
Facebook Twitter Google-plus YouTube Facebook Flickr

Twitter Hashtag: #RCAHMWales

Share this post:

Thursday, 14 May 2015

A View From The Air: Aerial Survey With The Royal Commission





Safely landed at Haverfordwest Airport (K. Davies)
I’m a current PhD student at Swansea University, studying digital heritage and archaeology in Wales. Through Swansea University I was offered a heritage skills training placement with Toby Driver at the Royal Commission, giving me the opportunity to gain experience of the aerial survey work that the Commission carries out. Aerial survey includes monitoring the condition of scheduled ancient monuments across Wales to ensure they are not being damaged, as well as searching for previously unidentified archaeological sites from parch or cropmarks. Cropmarks appear when archaeology under the surface affects the growth rate of plants – for example plants growing over a ditch may grow taller than those around them as they can get more nutrition, whilst plants growing over a buried wall may be stunted, particularly during drought periods. This allows archaeologists to interpret the marks visible and suggest possible further investigative work. Information about these sites is made available to the public through the Royal Commissions online database Coflein.

As part of my week long placement I was given the chance to go on one of the Royal Commission’s aerial reconnaissance flights. Now it has to be said that I’m a nervous flyer at the best of times – but this was an opportunity not to be missed!  The weather was clear and sunny, with barely any wind, perfect for taking to the skies. I was quite nervous when we arrived at Haverfordwest airport, and the four-seat Cessna is by far the smallest plane I have ever been in, but after meeting the pilot and completing the safety checks I was ready to go. Once we were in the air my nervousness was (almost) forgotten; the views were incredible!

Pembrokeshire from the air (K. Davies)

Our first port of call was the current Dyfed Archaeological Trust community excavation at St Patrick’s Chapel in Whitesands Bay. They had asked us to get some aerial shots of their ongoing excavation of the early Medieval cemetery and chapel, which had been exposed during the winter storms of 2013-14. From the air the site looked great, and we got some fantastic photos of everyone hard at work. The dig continues until 22 May 2015 with daily tours for anyone who wishes to visit the site.

Excavations at St Patrick’s Chapel, NPRN: 305394, AP_2015_1168

From Whitesands bay we headed south along the Pembrokeshire coast, and around Ramsey Island.  The sea was so clear that we kept an eye out for any ancient wrecks or fish traps that may be visible, though we didn’t spot any on this trip. We passed several impressive Iron Age promontory forts, including Clawdd y Milwyr (St David’s Head Camp) complete with circles of roundhouses inside, and took photos to update the records. We carried on over Milford Haven and Pembroke Dock, and got photographs of the beautiful gardens at Picton Castle, before heading back to land in Haverfordwest. It was an amazing experience – but I was glad to make it back to land in one piece!

Dinas Fach promontory fort (K. Davies)

We got excellent photographs to update the records, including some by me during my placement, and ensure that the ancient monuments of Wales are fully protected from human or natural damage. We didn’t discover any new archaeological sites on this trip, though every year the Royal Commission identifies dozens of previously unknown sites. However there were good signs of early crop differentiation so far this year thanks so the warm spring, so if we have a dry summer watch this space…

By Kelly Davies, Swansea University


Subscribe to the Heritage of Wales News and sign up for the full feed RSS, just click this Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts RSS button and subscribe!

Also find us on:
Facebook Twitter Google-plus YouTube Facebook Flickr

Twitter Hashtag: #RCAHMWales

Share this post:

Thursday, 7 May 2015

Sister Ship to Gallipoli Landing Craft Lost in Welsh Waters





In the past month, when many nations have been commemorating the human losses of the Gallipoli campaign, the Royal Commission has discovered that a small vessel lost off the North Wales in 1948 was built to the same design as the Allied landing craft which took part.

Launch of one of the twelve x-lighters built by Irvine Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company, West Hartlepool, in 1915. Reproduced with the kind permission of Bert Spaldin. (http://www.teesbuiltships.co.uk/irvine/aalist.htm)

The Gallipoli peninsula is in modern-day Turkey but in 1915 it was part of the Ottoman Empire – and the Ottomans were fighting alongside Germany. The Allied plan was to land forces at Gallipoli, move inland to take the capital Constantinople (now Istanbul) and take control the Dardenelles, a vital sea route into the Black Sea for their ally Russia. The rugged terrain and small number of suitable landing beaches created logistical problems. However, in February 1915, James Pollock & Son were asked on behalf of the Admiralty to design and oversee the construction of 200 motor landing craft. Twenty-seven shipyards in the northeast England and three on the Clyde were subsequently appointed to construct these X-lighters.

The Gallipoli landings followed a naval assault and began on 25 April 1915 at six beaches. The ground forces included the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC), regular British 29th Division, and the French Oriental Expeditionary Corps. The Ottoman troops occupied good defensive positions and inflicted many casualties. Fifteen awards of the Victoria Cross were made amongst the Allied infantry and sailors in the first two days. So began a terrible eight-month ordeal. The X-lighters were eventually used to withdraw all Allied troops on 7-9 January 1916.

Later in 1916, a further 25 X-lighters were ordered by the Admiralty. The RIVER LOYNE was one of these - designated X 215 and built by J T Eltringham & Co Ltd, Willington Quay, North Tyneside.

X30, X31 and X32 being completed in dry dock of the Irvine Shipbuilding Company. Reproduced with the kind permission of Bert Spaldin. (http://www.teesbuiltships.co.uk/irvine/x301915.htm)

After the war, many lighters were sold off. This is how X 215 eventually ended up in the ownership of R Gardener of Lancaster, carrying stone from the Penmaenmawr quarry to Liverpool. On 8 December 1948, the vessel foundered off Puffin Island with the tragic loss of all its crew.

Although the RIVER LOYNE/ X215’s wartime history is still being researched, we’d like to take this opportunity to recognise the sacrifices made by people from so many countries and the bravery shown on all sides during one of the most iconic and controversial campaigns of the Great War.

Remembering all who gave their lives for their country but who have no grave but the sea.

Follow this link to discover first-hand accounts of Welsh soldier who took part:
http://www.peoplescollection.wales/node/443935

By Deanna Groom, Maritime Officer, RCAHMW


Subscribe to the Heritage of Wales News and sign up for the full feed RSS, just click this Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts RSS button and subscribe!

Also find us on:
Facebook Twitter Google-plus YouTube Facebook Flickr

Twitter Hashtag: #RCAHMWales

Share this post:

Tuesday, 5 May 2015

From Wales to New Zealand and Back Again!





Llanelltyd Bridge (NPRN 95424) c.1830 watercolour, DI2015_0070

The generosity of the public in donating records to the National Monuments Record of Wales is always inspiring, but items seldom travel from the other side of the world to find a home in our archive collections. In the case of this charming watercolour of Llanelltyd Bridge however, the painting has made the trip both ways. Due to the incredibly kind donation by Avril Stott and David Haigh of Auckland, New Zealand, we are very pleased to add the work to our collections and make it available to the public. How the painting came to make its way to New Zealand in the first place is unknown, but the watercolour appears to be of early nineteenth-century date, and is typical of the sort of images painted by genteel tourists to Wales during this period.

The bridge, near Dolgellau, consists of five elliptical arches and is thought to date from the second quarter of the eighteenth century, possibly replacing an earlier bridge of medieval date.The painting views the crossing from the south and clearly depicts the village of Llanelltyd in the background, with the tower of St Illtyd’s Church prominent amongst the trees. A new concrete bridge was constructed in the 1980s to carry motor traffic, though the bridge continues to be used as a footbridge.

Llanelltyd Bridge from the southwest, 2008, DS2008_004_003

Subscribe to the Heritage of Wales News and sign up for the full feed RSS, just click this Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts RSS button and subscribe!

Also find us on:
Facebook Twitter Google-plus YouTube Facebook Flickr

Twitter Hashtag: #RCAHMWales


Share this post:

Thursday, 30 April 2015

National Monuments Record of Wales Archives and Library Bulletin - April 2015





Welcome to the latest monthly edition of the National Monuments Record of Wales (NMRW) Archives and Library Bulletin which lists all newly catalogued material.
http://www.rcahmw.gov.uk/HI/ENG/Our+Services/Donate+Records/Recent+Acquisitions/. The archival items, library books and journal articles are all available to view in our public reading room. The full archive catalogue is available on Coflein and contains digital copies of many of the items listed.

Our Library and reading room is open:
Monday – Friday 09.30 – 16.00, Wednesday 10.30 – 16.30.
An appointment is advisable.

April 2015


Archives 

Cotswold Archaeology Projects Archive
Further additions to this collection of project archives produced by Cotswold Archaeology. Ref No CA034 to CA037

Date range: 2013-2015

Investigators’ Digital Photography
  • Photographs of Tank Trap at the head of Happy Valley near Pennal, 2011. C604005
  • Photographs of Montgomery Castle, 2015. C604009
  • Photographs of St Nicholas Church, Montgomery, from Montgomery Castle, 2015. C604021
  • Photographs of Ford at Cresswell Quay, 2015. C604051
  • photographs of the Fairbourne military defences after the winter storms of 2013-14, 2015. C604067
  • Photographic Survey of Hen Dy cwrdd, Trecynon, 2014. C604726
  • Photographic survey of Hen Gapel, Rhydowen, 2014. C605684
  • Digital photographs of Belmont House, Presteigne, 2015. C605185
  • Digital photographs of Pemprys, Ysgubor-y-coed, 2015. C605187

NMR Site Files
  • Rhuddlan Castle; black and white photographs taken by B.C. Clayton, transferred from National Buildings Record.
  • Caerphilly Castle; black and white photographs taken by B.C. Clayton, transferred from National Buildings Record. 1929
  • Caerleon Amphitheatre; black and white photographs taken by B.C. Clayton, transferred from National Buildings Record. 1929 C603779
  • Caerwent Church; black and white photographs taken by B.C. Clayton, transferred from National Buildings Record. 1929
  • Paulinus Stone, Caerwent; black and white photographs taken by B.C. Clayton, transferred from National Buildings Record. 1929
  • St Mary’s Church, Capel y Ffin; black and white photographs taken by B.C. Clayton, transferred from National Buildings Record. 1929
  • Monmouth; black and white photographs taken by B.C. Clayton, transferred from National Buildings Record. 1929
  • St Mary's Church Capel y Ffin; black and white photographs taken by RCAHMW.1929
  • St Benedict's Church, Gyffin; black and white photographs taken by RCAHMW.
  • Peat House, Tal-y-fan; black and white photographs taken by RCAHMW.
  • Ffynnon Bedr Cottage; black and white photographs taken by RCAHMW.

Interior view of Ffynnon-Bedr, Llanbedr y Cennin, taken 25.07.50.
  • St Peter's Church, Llanbedr-y-cennin; black and white photographs taken by RCAHMW.
  • Cyll Gwynion; black and white photographs taken by RCAHMW. 1951
  • Black and white prints of Menai Suspension Bridge, Menai Bridge.
  • Images of Denbigh Castle from National Buildings Record
  • Photo survey of Dolaugwyn, produced by RCAHMW.
  • Measured drawings and sketch plans of 2 High Street, Holywell produced by Geoff Ward following his site visit of March 2015.
  • Colour photographs showing roof timbers in St Ffraid's Church, Llansanffraid taken by Geoff Ward, undated.
  • Plan, cross-section and detail drawing of St Hilary’s, Llanilar produced by Geoff Ward. 1995
  • Photo survey of St Hilary's Church, produced by Geoff Ward. 1995 Colour photos and negatives produced by Geoff Ward during his site visit.
  • Field notes/drawings produced by Geoff ward during his site visit. St Hilary's Church, produced by Geoff Ward. 1995
  • Site plan and six colour photos showing Pemprys produced by Geoff Ward, undated.
  • Site plan, sketch plan and one colour photo showing Cae Mardin produced by Geoff Ward, 2001.
  • Site plan and one colour photo showing Dynyn Farmstead produced by Geoff Ward.
  • Site plan and six colour photos showing Bwlch-einion farmstead produced by Geoff Ward.
  • Site plan and four colour photos showing Bwlch-y-maen farmstead produced by Geoff Ward, undated.
  • Interior and exterior views of St Marys Church, Eglwys Rhos taken 01.01.48.

View of wooden spoon dated 1770 from St Marys Church, Eglwys Rhos taken 01.01.48. C603792
  • St Benedicts Church, Gyffin including detail of rood screen and ceiling paintings at taken 30.09.48.
  • Interior view of St Peters Church, Llanbedr y Cennin, taken 08.05.48.
  • Exterior view of cottage at Gyffin, taken 30.09.48.
  • Stereoscopic view of castellated gatehouse in Reigate.
  • Stereoscopic view of Rhyl Town from the pier by Francis Bedford of the North Wales Illustrated.
  • Stereoscopic view of Conway Castle seen from the suspension bridge by Francis Bedford of the North Wales Illustrated. Acetate.
  • Stereoscopic view of Old Town Wales (Southampton?) by Wiseman Photographs.
  • Stereoscopic view of St Mary's Church, Haverfordwest.
  • View of the ground floor of the Market Hall, Llanidloes by G B Mason. 1956
  • View of Menai Bridge, Anglesey by F T S Houghton.
  • Engraving and text of the north east view of Denbigh Castle.
Vernon D. Emmanuel Collection
Digital photographs showing views of iron works, collieries, brickworks and other industrial sites in South Wales scanned from photographs taken between 1970 and 1990 by Vernon David Emmanuel and deposited in the NMR by his son David Tudor Emmanuel. C604461

David Jones Slate Workers Housing Archive
Collection of material including photographs, research notes, discussion paper and dissertation relating to slate workers housing, produced or collated by David G. Jones between 1970-80

D.W. Crossley Collection
Collection of papers and illustrative material produced or collated by D.W. Crossley relating to excavations at Knock Rath and Merryborough Camp, Pembrokeshire, produced by D.W. Crossley.

Bryan Taylor Mills Collection
Research papers relating to mills, mainly in Wales, compiled by Bryan Taylor and comprising notes, reports, newspaper cuttings, drawings, photographs and slides.

Archaeological Reports/Evaluations (non Trust)
Project archive for an industrial heritage survey of Garth Industrial Estate carried out by CgMs Consulting for Castell International Limited, 2014-2015. C604025

Christopher J. Williams Mines Photographs
Colour photos showing views of Cefn y Gist Mine and Talar Goch mine, produced by C.J. Williams, 2008 – 2012


Colour photo showing general view of Cefn y Gist Mine, produced by C.J. Williams, 2008. C605167

Colour photo showing scaffold around the Clive Engine House at Talar Goch Mine, produced by C.J. Williams, 2012.

Geoff Ward Slide Collection
Colour slides of mainly vernacular buildings in Wales, produced by Geoff Ward during his career at RCAHMW. Ref No GWSC038 to GWSC187

Including photographs of the following sites. Date range: 1997-2005
  • Mona Inn, Holyhead Road
  • 10 Castle Street, Beaumaris
  • 45 Swansea Road, Hirwaun
  • Home Farm, Llandefalle
  • Buildings at Neuadd, Trecastle
  • Pen y Wern, Llanspyddid
  • Ciliau, Erwood produced
  • Hafod Llwyfog, Beddgelert
  • Interior and exterior views of Alexandra Hall, Aberystwyth
  • Siop Ffynnon Oer, Temple Bar
  • Llansantffraid Church
  • Buildings at Hafod-Las
  • Buildings at Green Grove Farm, Felin-fach
  • Nant y Gelli, Ystrad Aeron
  • Nanteos Stables
  • Felin Cwm mills, Rhydlewis
  • Troedrhiwfallen, Cribyn
  • Maesllyn Cottage, Llanon
  • Penrhiw, Bow Street
  • Gelli-Gron, Tregaron
  • Talbot Hotel, Tregaron
  • Ffos y Ffin Chapel
  • Mercantile Warehouse, Cardigan
  • Bridge Warehouse, Cardigan
  • Aberystwyth Gas Works
  • Tennis Pavilion, Aberystwyth
  • Interior views of D. Evans, Jewellers 39/41 Great Darkgate Street, Aberystwyth
  • Seabank Hotel 5, 6 and 7 Victoria Terrace, Aberystwyth
  • Old Black Lion, Pontrhydfendigaid
  • Skinner Street Chapel, Aberystwyth
  • Views in Laura Place, Aberystwyth
  • 20 Quay Street, Cardigan
  • Felin Hafod Wen, Cribyn
  • Cwm Bychan Farmhouse and Farm Buildings
  • Maes Glas Old and New Chapels, Ysbyty Ystwyth
  • Ysbyty Ystwyth Old and New Churches
  • Siop Fach, Neuadd Llwyd
  • Trawsgoed Mansion
  • Gwar Cwm Uchaf
  • Gwar Drysgol
  • Brock Hill, Borth
  • Trefynnor Isaf
  • Nant Crafanglach, Cwm Ystwyth
  • Llwynpiod, Synod Inn
  • Moorlands, Borth
  • Pier Cottage, Quay Parade
  • Ty'n y Cwm, Llanon
  • Ty Round, Llyswen, Aberaeron
  • Pen Lan Isaf, Llanfihangel-y-creuddyn
  • Cwrt y Cwm, Llanfarian
  • Oak House, Carmarthen
  • Cil-maen-llwyd, Dyffryn Cennen
  • Ty Hir, Talley
  • Myrtle Hill, Llansawel
  • Lleniau (Beilu Mawr), Llangeler
  • Legar, Meidrim
  • Marchogllwyn Farm Buildings, Pontyberem
  • Pen Bak Farm, Llandissilio West
  • Gilfach y Berthog, Abergwili
  • Neuadd Fawr, Llanwrda
  • Banc y Gwyn Farmstead, Llansadawrn
  • Garn Farm, Llanddarog
  • Fron-ganol Farm, Llanboidy
  • Llanboidy Church
  • Cwm Tywyll Farm, Llandyssul
  • 18 Queen Street , Carmarthen
  • Ty Melyn, Ffairfach
  • 51 King Street , Carmarthen
  • Bryn Farmhouse, Halghton
  • Rose Cottage, Ruthin
  • Llewenni Hall Stables, Denbigh
  • Llewenni Uchaf, outbuildings
  • Tan y Llan house and outbuildings, Bronwylfa
  • Midland Bank, Wrexham
  • Dee Mill
  • Malt House, Llansilin
  • Tan Llan, Llanefydd
  • Talwrn House and outbuildings, Marchwiel
  • Island Green Malthouse
  • Baptist Chapel, Henllan Place
  • Llewenni Uchaf outbuildings
  • Moeliwrch, Llansilin
  • 12 Bridge Street, Llanfyllin
  • Ruinous Bettisfield windmill tower, Cadney Bank
  • Bagillt Lock-up
  • Camfa Rhinallt barns, Leeswood
  • Nerquis Hall outbuildings
  • Exchange House, Holywell
  • Buildings in Holywell
  • Mill Road Cottage, Horseman’s Green
  • Glasshouses at Nerquis Hall
  • St Thomas' Church, Pantbach Road, Cardiff
  • Vulcan House, Aberystwyth
  • 46 Swansea Road, Hirwaun
  • Castleton Farm Buildings, St Athan
  • Malt House, Llantrisant
  • West Orchard Farmhouse
  • Boverton Place Barn, Llantwit Major
  • Seamouth Cottage, Southerndown
  • Parish Hall, Llantrisant
  • Buildings and features at Hetty Pit, Great Western Colliery
  • Llwydiarth, Aberllefenni
  • Brook House, Caldicot
  • Ty Hwnt y Bwlch, Crucorney
  • 20-22 Drybridge Street, Monmouth
  • Great Milton, Llanwern
  • Waun Dew, Beaufort
  • Tir Bach, Pontypool
  • The Grange, house and outbuildings, Llangattock
  • Newport Market
  • Newport Crown Court
  • Coity House, Blaenavon
  • 12 Castle Street, Brecon
  • Upper House, Crickhowell
  • Gaer Fawr, Guilsfield
  • Elerch, Churchstoke
  • Snead Farm, Churchstoke
  • Stone House Farm
  • 14 Broad Street, Newtown
  • Buildings in Crown Street, Newtown
  • Gorphwysfa Farmstead
  • Plas Machynlleth
  • London House, Llanfyllin
  • The Old Brewery, Llanfyllin
  • Corn Warehouse, Pembroke
  • Dovecot at Great Nash Farm
  • House and outbuildings at Llawhaden House
  • Outbuildings at Llangwarren Farm
  • Farm buildings at Carnachen Wen, Mathry
  • Poyer's Arms, Templeton
  • Felin Pant y Deri, Llanfair Nant-gwyn
  • Llanreithin House
  • Coedcanlais Farmhouse, Martletwy
  • Commerce House, Haverfordwest
  • Penrhos, Llanstephan
  • 34-35 Market Street, Knighton
  • Gethin Farmhouse, Clyro
  • Hergest, Glascwm
  • Clatterbrune, Presteigne
  • Blaen y Cwm Farmhouse, Llangunllo
  • Farmhouse and buildings at Pilleth Court, Whitton
  • Tabernacle Chapel, Aberystwyth
  • The kitchen garden at Penllergaer
  • Ty'r Godwith, Blaenavon
  • The greenhouse at Clyne, Mumbles
  • 35-37 Eastgate, Aberystwyth (St Davids Club)
  • 36 Eastgate, Aberystwyth
  • 9-11 Pier Street, Aberystwyth
  • 19 Pier Street, Aberystwyth
  • Bellevue Royal Hotel, Aberystwyth
  • Blue Bell, Aberystwyth
  • Pant Wilco, Llanwnnen
  • Houses in Blaenplwyf, Llanfarian
  • Unnamed house on road between Llanrhystud and Trefilan
  • Corner House, Gladestry
  • Grove Farmstead, Knighton
  • Old Vicarage, Llowes
  • Borras Hall, Holt
  • Trelowgoed Farm Buildings, Llanbadarn Fawr
  • Fron Farmstead, Disserth
  • Llwyn-cwta farmstead, St Harman
  • Roof timbers at 4-9, Scottleton Street, Presteigne
  • St Cewydd's Church, Aberedw
  • Twm Tobacco's Grave, Aberedw
  • Rhiwiau Farmstead, New Radnor
  • Pantau, Aberedw
  • Well Cottage, Presteigne
  • Llawhaden House, Llawhaden
  • Hendre-Fach Barn, Nantmel
  • An unamed house in Beguildy
  • An unamed house in Llanbister
  • Stone House, Beguildy
  • Neuadd Farmhouse, Llandrindod Wells
  • Gilfach y Rhiw Farmhouse, St Harmon

Additional Information Collection
  • Colour photos The Tumble, Garn-Ddyrhys taken by Olwen Jenkins, 2002. C604625
  • Copies of measured drawings showing a number of buildings at RAF Brawdy, many of them since demolished, produced by various consultancies for the Property Services Agency. 1983-87. C604626
  • Account of Cardiff Corporation Waterworks at Llanishen Dam produced by C.H. Priestly.1923. C604837
  • Report by Andrew Hill on the historical importance of the Lisvane and Llanishen Reservoirs, 2005. C604848
  • Copies of measured drawings showing a number of buildings at RNAD Trecwn, many of them since demolished, produced by various consultancies for the Property Services Agency. 1983-87
  • Copy of site plan and list of buildings at RNMD Newton Noyes, produced for the Property Services Agency. 1992. C604884
  • Copies of measured drawings produced by The National Trust showing the military hospital at Dinefwr park (1940-46) 1992. C604885
  • Set of photographs of All Saints Church, both colour and black and white collected by Felipe Brando-Cadavid. C604922

General Digital Donations Collection
  • Digital photo survey of Gosen Chapel produced by Tony Cullen, deposited with NMRW as a condition of planning consent. C604050
  • Digital records relating to All Saints Church, Maerdy, produced by Felipe Brando_Cadavid. C604929 

RCAHMW General Scanned Image Collection
  • Digital copies of a set of twelve images showing cruck-framed buildings in Montgomeryshire, loaned for copying by David Archer, 1983. C604079

General Information Collection
  • Bound offprint from the Archaeologia Aeliana of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, entitled The Discovery of a Hoard of Roman Coins on the Wall of Hadrian, in Northumberland. By John Clayton, 1879-1880. Accompanied by a hand-written letter addressed to M. Hogg dated 28 June 1880.

D.B. Hague Slide Collection
Colour slides showing bridges (mainly suspension bridges) in Wales, produced or collated by Douglas Hague. Date range 1960-1970s. C604154.

Stephen Hughes Slide Collection
Colour slides showing the following sites, date range 1976 - 2002:
  • Buildings at Wynnstay, Ruabon
  • Interior and exterior views of the mansion and outbuildings at Wynnstay
  • Buildings at Blaenavon Ironworks
  • Nynehead Lift, Somerset
  • Woollard Copper/Brass Mill, Somerset, and Black Castle, Bristol
  • Woodborough and Woollard Copper/Brass Mills, Somerset
  • Warmley Copper/Brass Mills, Somerset, and SS Great Britain, Bristol
  • Warmley Copper/Brass Mills, and Factory East, Bristol
  • Inlet House at Warmley Copper/Brass Mills
  • Chambered tombs in Merioneth
  • chambered tomb at Dyffryn Ardudwy
  • Memorial to the industrialist Thomas Jones in Aberystwyth produced by Stephen Hughes, 1997-1999.
  • Llandudno Lighthouse and Great Orme Copper Mines produced by Stephen Hughes, 1994
  • Buildings at Blaenavon produced by Stephen Hughes, 1996.
  • Buildings in Llanstephan

Chapels in the following places. Date range 1996 to 2002:
  • Chapels in Breconshire
  • Chapels in Ruabon and Bala
  • Chapels in Colwyn Bay
  • Chapels in Cwmorthin
  • Chapels and workers housing at Beaufort
  • Chapels in Blaenavon
  • Chapel architecture in industrial communities
  • Chapels in Carmarthenshire
  • Buildings, mainly chapels at Beaufort/Brynmawr
  • Chapels at Blaenavon and Newport
  • Chapels in Monmouthshire
  • Chapels in Bala produced
  • Chapels in Dinas Mawddwy
  • Calvinistic Chapel, Bronllys
  • Chapels in Ruabon/Rhosllanerchrugog
  • Chapels in Dolgellau
  • Malthouse and chapels in Wrexham
  • Chapels in Rhosllanerchrugog
  • Chapels in Dolgellau/Bala
  • Bethel Chapel, Rhos
  • Bethlehem Chapel, Blaenavon
  • Chapels in Rhosllanerchrugog
  • Chapels in Llandudno Junction, and, produced by Stephen Hughes, 1999.
  • Chapels and churches in Ebbw Vale
  • Key chapels by Thomas and Humphrey
  • Buildings and chapels in the area around Builth, Talgarth and Trefecca,
  • Chapels in Brynmawr
  • Two Thomas Thomas chapels in Groes-wen
  • Workers housing and Thomas Thomas chapels in Gwynedd
  • Chapels in Beaufort produced
  • Memorials at Bethel Chapel, Sketty
  • Chapels at Llangurig and Llandrindod
  • Chapels and other buildings in Bangor
  • Chapels and workers housing in Ebbw Vale
  • Chapels in Llandrindod and Rhayader
  • Chapels in Swansea
  • Thomas Thomas chapels

Books

Aberystwyth Area Tourism Task Force, (UD.), Aberystwyth and area: the heart of Welsh culture, Aberystwyth Town Council, Aberystwyth.

Bullock, Nicholas, 2002, Building the post-war world, modern architecture and reconstruction in Britain, Routledge, London.

Burton, Janet E. & Stöber, Karen, 2015, The abbeys and priories of medieval Wales, University of Wales Press, Cardiff.

Craster, O. E., 1965, (reprint), Ancient monuments of Anglesey, HMSO, London.

Creighton, Oliver Hamilton, 2013, Designs upon the land: elite landscapes of the middle ages, The Boydell Press, Suffolk.

Crew, Peter & Musson, Chris, 1996, Eryri o'r awyr, patrymau yn y tirlun, Snowdonia National Park Authority, Penrhyndeudraeth.

Croeso I eglwys gadeiriol Llanelwy/Welcome to St Asaph Cathedral, Eglwys gadeiriol Llanelwy/St Asaph cathedral, Llanelwy.

Edwards, Owen M., 1892, Cymru; Volume III, D. W. Davies a'i Gwmni, Caernarfon.

Evans, John, 1907, Yr ail fyr-gofiant, E. W. Evans, Dolgellau.

Evans, Beriah Gwynfe, 1900, Diwygwyr Cymru, B. G. Evans, Caernarfon.

Evans, E. Herber, 1893, Dysgedydd a'r hwn unwyd yr annibynwr yn cynwys, W. Hughes, Dolgellau.

Faleer, Robert A., 2009, Church woodwork in the British Isles, 110 – 1535: an annotated bibliography, Scarecrow Press Inc., Maryland USA.

Foord, Edward A., 1925, St. David's, Llandaff & Brecon, J. M. Dent & Sons, London.

Flintshire & Denbighshire C. C. & Wrexham C. B. C., (ud), The official guide to attractions in the North Wales borderlands.

French, Derek, 1985, Dictionary of accounting terms, Financial Training Publications Ltd., London.

Gibson, William and Morgan-Guy, John, (Eds.), 2015, Religion and society in the Diocese of St Davids 1485 – 2011, Ashgate Publishing, Farnham.

Gould, J., 1964, Excavations at Wall (Stafforshire), 1961-3: On the site of the early Roman forts and of the late Roman defences, Archaeological and Historical Society, Staffordshire.

Gould, J., 1967, Excavations at Wall, Stafforshire, 1964-6, on the site of the Roman forts, Archaeological and Historical Society, Staffordshire.

Green, H. S.,1980, Excavations at Pontnewydd Cave, Clwyd, 1978-80, National Museum of Wales, Cardiff.

Gwyn, David, 2015, Llechi Cymru: Archaeoleg a Hanes, CBHC/RCAHMW, Aberystwyth.

Gwyn, David, 2015, Welsh Slate: Archaeology and History of an Industry, CBHC/RCAHMW, Aberystwyth.

Hague, D. B., Lighthouses, Butterworths Scientific Publications, Powys.

Houlder, Christopher, 1974, Wales, an archaeological guide: the prehistoric, Roman and early medieval field monuments, Faber & Faber, London.

Hughes, John Peredur (Pred Hughes), 2015, Foundries, amidst the Slate Industry of NW Wales, Sara Eade, Newtown.

Jenkins, R. T., 1934, Y ffordd yng Nghymru, Hughes a'i Fab a'r Cwmni Cyhoeddi Addysgol, Wrecsam a Chaerdydd.

Jennings, Nina, 2003, Clay Dabbins : vernacular buildings of the Solway Plain, Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, Kendal.

Jervoise, Edwyn, 1930, The ancient bridges of the south of England, The Architectural press, London.

Jones, Gwyn, 1997, A walk around Abergavenny, Abergavenny Local History Society, Abergavenny.

Letts, John, 2007, Growing straw for thatching: a guide, COHT Committee, Somerset.

Morris, James, 1911, Hanes Methodistiaeth Sir Gaerfyrddin, E. W. Evans, Dolgfellau.

Musty, A. E. S., Excavations at Waltham Abbey.

Oswald, Adrian, 1958, Observation and excavation at Manduessedum, Oxford University Press, Oxford

Pryce, Jeremy, 2008, Llandinam : meandering byways & pathways to the past, Jeremy Pryce, Llandinam.

Pryce, Jeremy, 2008, A history of Llandinam and parish by B. Bennett Rowlands 1836-1915; edited by Jeremy Pryce and Susan Brachi, Jeremy Pryce, Llandinam.

Pryce, Jeremy, 2014(reprint), Llandinam : a glimpse of the past, Jeremy Pryce, Llandinam.

Radford, C. A. Ralegh, 1985, Acton Burnell Castle, Historic Buildings and Monuments Commission.

Rahtz, P. A. and Barton, K. J., c. 1958, Maes Knoll Camp, Dundry, Somerset: 1. Trial excavations, 1958.

Ravetz, Alison, 2001, Council housing and culture: the history of a social experiment, Routledge, London.

Reynolds, A. Martin, 1993, All our yesterdays: A pictorial history of Llantrisant & Pontyclun, Parish Pump Press, Pontyclun.

Richards, Maurice, 1983, An outline of the Newtown woollen industry, Newtown Textile Museum, Powys.

Round, A. A., 1974, The bath-house at Wall, Staffs., Excavations in 1971, Archaeological and Historical Society, Staffordshire.

Steel & Coal, 1962, A great day: the opening of Spencer Works.

Stevens, Roger, 1979, A look at Crickhowell, Powys, Brecon Beacons National Park, Crickhowell.

Thomas, Graham Stuart, 1972, Powis Castle Gardens, Montgomeryshire, National Trust, London.

The National Trust, 1978, Powis Castle, National Trust, London.

Trueman, Michael, 1997, MPP gas industry, Lancaster University Archaeological Unit, Lancaster.

Trueman, Michael, 1998, MPP oil industry, Lancaster University Archaeological Unit, Lancaster.

Wakelin, Peter, 2015, Pontcysyllte Aqueduct and Canal World Heritage Site, Canal and River Trust & RCAHMW.

Watkins, Charles and Cowell, Ben, 2012, Uvedale Price (1747 - 1829): decoding the picturesque, The Boydell Press, Woodbridge.

Williams, Glanmor, 1997, Wales and the Reformation, (reprint of Chapter 2 from Wales and the Reformation), University of Wales Press, Cardiff.


Journals

Ancient Monuments Society Newsletter 01/2015 (Winter-Spring)

Antiquity vol. 89 no. 344 (April 2015)

British Archaeology no. 142 (May-June 2015)

Capel Newsletter no. 65 (Spring 2015) and Capel Local Information Leaflet 76: Caernarfon

Current Archaeology no. 302 (May 2015)

Etifeddiaeth y Cymry rh. 60 (Gwanwyn 2015)

Heritage in Wales no. 60 (Spring 2015)

Medieval Settlement Research vol. 29 (2014)

Melin vol. 29 (2013)

Morgannwg vol. 58 (2014)

Past no. 79 (April 2015)

Pembrokeshire Life (April 2015)

Pen Cambria no. 28 (Spring 2015)

Railway and Canal Historical Society Bulletin no. 455 (May-June 2015)

Sheetlines no. 102 (April 2015)

Site Recorder no. 1584 (April 2015)

Welsh Stone Forum Newsletter no. 12 (March 2015)


Journals Current Awareness

Ancient Monuments Society Newsletter 01/2015, p. 59: Review of Discovering the Historic Houses of Snowdonia.

British Archaeology no. 142, p. 8: Britain in Archaeology section, note about the division of English Heritage into two separate bodies, English Heritage and Historic England.

Capel Newsletter no. 65: ‘Digital Dissent: The Story of Welsh Chapels’ [about the launch of the Welsh Chapels website, a collaboration between Addoldai Cymru: The Welsh Religious Buildings Trust and RCAHMW]

Current Archaeology no. 302, p. 22: ‘Mills, down South: Exploring a forgotten heritage’ by Chris Catling



Contact us
If you have any comments or enquiries, please feel free to contact us:

NMRW Library and Enquiries Service
Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales
Crown Building,
Plas Crug,
Aberystwyth,
Ceredigion,
SY23 1NJ

Telephone: +44 (0)1970 621200
Fax: +44 (0)1970 627701
Email: nmr.wales@rcahmw.gov.uk
Website: www.rcahmw.gov.uk
Blog: www.heritageofwalesnews.blogspot.co.uk


Subscribe to the Heritage of Wales News and sign up for the full feed RSS, just click this Subscribe to Heritage of Wales News Blog Posts RSS button and subscribe!

Also find us on:
Facebook Twitter Google-plus YouTube Facebook Flickr

Twitter Hashtag: #RCAHMWales

Share this post:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails